With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, I thought it would be a great time to share how important it is to make time for each other when you’re in a relationship.
Hubby and I have been together for almost 17 years now and this October will be our 15th wedding anniversary. We have been through a lot in our years together and there will always be downs along with the ups. We do our best to make time for each other which, even without kids, can be a challenge. We are both B-U-S-Y. Hubby leaves for work by 6:00am every morning and is usually home by 5:30 or 6. But, he’s on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. So even after he gets home from work, at any given time his phone could ring or he could get an email he has to attend to.
I have my own business so even though I am more flexible with my time, my work is always with me. I am constantly thinking about it, even when I am “off”. Being a business owner means 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Even if I’m not working, work is still on the brain. I am also lucky that hubby helps us out a lot too with what he can.
For both of us, there are also extra jobs that we may take on on the weekends or evenings. We are both understanding and mindful of what the other needs to do.
So, what do we do to make time for each other in our crazy busy lives? It is so easy to get wrapped up in our busy days and get home and just be a vegetable on the couch. Or have so many other plans, we don’t see each other. Here is how we make time for each other:
- Evenings that we are both home, we spend time together, usually curled up on the couch catching up on our TV shows, talking about our day. I do my best to not blog in the evening. Just being together is the best part of my day.
- Keep in touch during the day… Hubby is great about calling me when he can and we text, a lot. It’s harder to get ahold of him so he usually does the calling, but just knowing we are thinking about each other even when we’re busy is a nice feeling.
- Go out, whether the two of us or with friends…. It’s so easy to stay home and not do anything. I am such a homebody and after a long day at work or on the weekend, I could easily not leave the house and just plant myself on the couch. Hubby gets bored and restless so he is the complete opposite. So, once or twice a week, we go out to each just us or with friends. Even if I’d rather stay home and be lazy, I never regret going out and it’s always fun to be out with hubby.
- Attend events together… Both of us have events that we can attend with each other. Work events for hubby are fun for me because I know so many of the people he works with. Blogger and racing events are something that hubby will attend with me, and likewise he knows so many of my friends. Attending things together to me is a show of support.
- Play hooky together… Ever since we got our annual passes to Universal Orlando last year, we have been pretty good about taking a hooky day once a month and play at the parks. We pick a week day and do our best to ignore work. While we both have responsibilities that mean we can’t be totally 100% work free, most of the day is spent just us having fun. We did that just yesterday and we are already looking forward to the next one.
- Share hobbies…. Nothing makes me happier than hubby joining me for a run. It’s such a nice feeling to know that he is out there with me when he can be, looking out for me, and spending time with me doing something I love. Early on in our relationship, we enjoyed being active together and going to the gym was something we did regularly. Life wasn’t as crazy back then and I would love to get back to that habit again. But running or taking a walk together are always so nice. Hubby’s hobby – paintball – is something I need to do one day for him. I have not played, but I have gone to watch with him a few times, and I’ve attended World Cup a couple years in Orlando. Showing an interest in each other’s interests is always a good thing.
- Do little things for each other…. I love coffee and one of my favorite things is when hubby goes out early in the morning on the weekend and brings me back my favorite Starbucks coffee. I love to buy him his favorite candy. Nice compliments, holding hands…. I love the little things as much as the big things.
- Plan an annual get-away together. This is a hard one for us and one that I hope we make more of a priority. Last year, we went to Orlando for 4 days and it was just the break we needed. Rest, relaxation, and lots of fun at our happy place – Universal Orlando.
It’s so easy to get wrapped up in everything going on around you. Remember what brought you together and take time with each other. Life is so short, you don’t want to look back and wish you had spent more time together.
Happy Valentine’s Day!