Fall is my favorite time of year and my favorite season. Here in Florida, we have miserable summers with hot and humid days. It can be unbearable. Whenever summer starts, I wonder how I will survive three months of awful humidity. I dread sweating as I get ready in the morning, despite the a/c. And even worse, sweating some more when I walk out the front door. I literally count the days to fall.
This past Saturday marked the first day of fall. To say that makes me happy is an understatement. I live for fall! And while we don’t have the typical fall here in the Sunshine State that others experience up north, we finally have temperatures that drop out of the 80’s at night and wonderful breezes.
To celebrate the arrival of fall, I thought I’d share some of my fall favorites…
- Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks. Yes, you knew this was coming. And while I tend to think they bring it back too soon, it is a wonderful treat, and a sign that fall is quickly approaching. The only thing better? When the holiday cups come out. There is just something about a pumpkin spice latte in a holiday cup that makes me happy.
- Shorter days. I, personally, like shorter days because it means we will have some sort of temperature change. California is a good example – some places can experience a 20 – 30 degree temperature change when the sun sets. That is just not the case here and in summer, it rarely drops below 80 degrees, which means the a/c is running all night. But when the sun sets earlier, it cools off a little more.
- I love pumpkin. And cinnamon, and nutmeg. Those flavors are the epitome of fall. Ironically, I have never been a fan of pumpkin pie, but I’ll take a slice of my mom’s pumpkin cheesecake anytime. And I love to make pumpkin fluff (you can find the recipe here). Starbucks has amazing pumpkin scones and pumpkin loaf. Love it.
- My fall decorations. I have a nice assortment of fall and pumpkin-themed candles and decorations. This week they will be unpacked. I can’t wait.
- Thanksgiving, my favorite holiday of the year. The food is amazing, my mom has always made a wonderful spread – turkey with Italian sausage stuffing, crab cakes (a family joke, not really crab cakes, but fried stuffing patties, shrimp and homemade cocktail sauce, blue cheese and celery, amazing mashed potatoes, and dinner rolls. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. I also love Thanksgiving because it is the first day of the holiday season.
- My niece’s name is Autumn. Adorable, right? I love her oodles!
“Autumn, the year’s last, loveliest smile.”
Is fall your favorite time of year? What do you love about it?