Oh Lordy, have I been sick. Monday evening I started coughing. By Tuesday morning, I was coughing even more and woke up feeling run over. That was the morning we took the bikes to Toys for Tots. By Tuesday night, I was a congested, coughing, achy mess. I really thought I had bronchitis. It felt like I had an elephant standing on my chest. I woke up at 2:30 in the morning on Wednesday to take a hot bath because I could hardly move and the cough was sounding really bad. I decided then I better go to the doctor. Anytime I get a cough, it seems to take weeks to get a grip on it and I didn’t want it to go too far without medicine.
I have not been to our primary care physician in 2 years. That tells you how often I get sick. I felt so cruddy that I didn’t even make my usual smart-ass comment when I got on the scale. It was more of a “whatever”. The nurse decided to do a flu swab as I’m sitting there telling her, no I’m sure it’s just bronchitis with this cough. Needless to say, I was wrong. I have Influenza A. As opposed to B. And of course A is the one that makes you feel worse and could last longer. Always an over-achiever, right?
I left with prescriptions and after a frustrating trip to Walgreens, I went home to sleep. And sleep is what I’ve done as much as possible since then. Despite having to do what work I can from home and email in little spurts, I’ve been not doing anything else and this flu has ruined what was to be a very busy, very fun week for us.
Thursday night was hubby’s company Christmas party. He went, as he should have, but I was miserable at home. It stinks to feel so yucky and down and not be able to join in the fun.
Yesterday, I had no choice but to go to work for a bit, you know since I’m the boss and all, and when I came home I planted myself right back on the couch.
This morning, we were supposed to volunteer at Toys for Tots Distribution Day, but I am still just so blah. I still have a cough, though it no longer feels like I’m going to cough up a lung. And I’m achy. That is the worst part. And what kind of volunteer would I be by getting other people sick? Hubby is helping with some work today, always my saving grace.
Tonight we were going to do the Santa’s Twilight 5K on Honeymoon Island. Well, that’s certainly not going to happen. And tomorrow….. Tomorrow is the Tampa Bay Lady Blogger’s Holiday Cookie Exchange, hosted by Steph. I was going to make oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Yesterday should have been my baking day. No cookie-making here… I was really looking forward to catching up with everyone before Christmas, but they’ll probably like me more if I don’t give them the gift of the flu.
So it’s not bad enough I’ve been sick all week, but I am missing out on so much fun stuff this weekend. Sometimes it really sucks to be me. But, I have high hopes that I can be back to whatever normal is on Monday. I certainly want to be rid of this nastiness by Christmas. It’s depressing and messes with me mentally. I’m tired of being sick and achy and no energy and not having much of an appetite. I’ve had maybe a meal and a half each day. I just have no real desire to eat, which is so not like me. But I have been drinking plenty of water and orange juice.
On my agenda today…. Take my medicine, curl up in the comfy corner of the couch with my favorite blanket and my box of tissues, Blue and Ozzie close by for the necessary snuggling, and ask nicely for this crud to get the heck out of here. So this will be me today….
When was the last time you had the flu?
I am a bad blogger. I have not blogged in over a week. I have been busy and not feeling well, but I should have had time to blog. Looks like I have some catching up to do on this one.
- A week ago Friday, I had a gain at WW. I do not like the weeks that I gain. I know they are bound to happen, but I would be a happier girl if they did not.
- A week ago Saturday, I walked a 6-mile training walk with my fabulous sister-in-law Jenna. She is doing the Tampa Bay 3-Day For The Cure Walk this fall. You can find her blog here. While you are here, will you consider making a donation? She is so close to reaching the amount needed to walk.
- A week ago Sunday was Father’s Day, our first without my dad. We started the morning at the Bay Pines VA National Cemetery in St. Petersburg to place flowers and a balloon. I, of course, cried like a baby. This year of firsts is proving to be as hard as I expected. I cannot express in words how much I miss him. That same day we went out to dinner for my hubby’s birthday and Father’s Day. Hubby chose to go to one of my dad’s favorite restaurants and then to Crystal Beach for another beautiful sunset in honor of my dad. They just get more and more beautiful.
- This was a hard week for work. We had a big project to do and everything had to happen just right to get it done. Amazingly enough, it all worked out. Probably I stressed more than necessary but how do I know that my stress didn’t help get it done? I will never know.
- I started feeling sick on Wednesday (about a week and a half after my hubby and sister-in-law had been sick). I felt like I had been run over and I had a fever. I never have a fever. I was cold and exhausted. After going out to dinner with hubby for his birthday, I made myself comfy on the couch with a dose of Nyquil. I stayed home Thursday with a fever all day. Not fun.
- Despite knowing better, I worked most of Friday. I went in around 10:30 and got home at 4:30. I had to get things done so that I could enjoy my weekend and not stress over getting it all done on Monday. I was exhausted when I got home and was feeling run down again.
- I did not walk at all this week – not since last Sunday. I HATE that I have not walked and had I known on Monday and Tuesday that I would have been sick Wednesday, I would have made time to do it. I really wish my darn crystal ball would work.
- For the first time since going back to WW, I missed yesterday’s meeting to avoid getting people sick. I am sure the scale would not have been kind to me but I still missed the meeting, the support, and the chit chat. Next week!!
- Today was supposed to be our monthly crop but I cancelled it since I’ve been sick. I still think this bug is hanging on, so best to not get others sick, but I’m bummed to not have the girl time. I will do some digi-scrapping today on my own. My hubby did make my morning, though, by getting me Starbucks. The key to this girls’ heart is caffeine.
|Flowers and a balloon for Daddy…|
|So pretty and serene at Bay Pines VA National Cemetery|
|Another beautiful sunset at Crystal Beach|
That’s it in a nutshell. I am happy to have alot of downtime this weekend to sleep, read, watch movies, and more.